Working in the United States
Working in the US
- U.S. Department of Labor Fact Sheet: Internship Programs Under The Fair Labor Standards Act
- UNPAID Internships or Volunteering and Optional Practical Training
- Optional Practical Training General Information
- OPT Undergraduate Application
- OPT Graduate Application
- Employment/Personal Updates
- STEM Extension FAQs
- 24 Month STEM Extension Request
- Academic Training
- Obtaining a Social Security Number
- J-2 Work Permission
International students and their family members are restricted in how they may work in the United States. This section of our website provides information on employment authorizations (including OPT, Academic Training, and CPT), how to obtain a Social Security Number, and other resources.
Before starting any employment, paid or unpaid, please consult the ISSS Office at (518) 276-4966, via email, or in person in Suite 4226 of Academy Hall. Unauthorized employment will result in the termination of your status.