Students will need the following documents to re-enter the United States:
- Your passport must be valid at least 6 months into the future to re-enter the United States.
- Valid F-1 or J-1 visa (see below)
- I-20/DS-2019 signed within the past year for travel.
- Rensselaer ID card (optional but recommended)
- Proof of finances (optional but recommended)
Students applying for a renewed visa overseas should bring the following:
- Check your I-20/DS-2019 to make sure that the field of study, level of study, and source of funding is still current. If any of the information has changed, request a new I-20/DS-2019 before leaving the U.S.
- You can obtain a transcript from the Registrar’s office. You should also request a copy of your current semester’s registration to be stamped by the Registrar
- Financial Documentation
- Rensselaer ID
Academic Documentation (this is especially important for
graduate students or students with a sensitive area of
- letter from department
- description of your research plan
- Current CV
Travel for students on OPT:
Our office does not recommend traveling while your OPT application is pending. For students whose OPT has been approved, you will need the following documents to re-enter the U.S.:
- Valid F-1 visa
- I-20 signed within the past 6 months for travel
- EAD card
- Proof of resuming employment (e.g. contract, offer letter)