Maintaining your legal status
Immigration & Visas
- F-1 Information
- J-1 Information
- Maintaining Your Status
Follow these guidelines to ensure that you are maintaining legal status in the United States:
- Keep your passport valid at all times- Contact your embassy on what is required for a passport extension.
- Do not work illegally- If you are not sure what is legal, ask the ISSS staff. Unpaid employment still counts as employment for immigration purposes.
- Register as a full-time student-You must be registered full-time fall and spring semester. In most cases, this is 12 credit hours (for graduate students on assistantships, it is 9 credit hours). You must consult the ISSS Office before going part-time.
- Keep your I-20/DS-2019 valid- Check the program end date and degree information on your I-20/DS-2019. You must update ISSS if any of the information changes, and apply for a program extension at least 30 days before the end date on the I-20/DS-2019
- Update ISSS and SIS on any change of address-this must be done within 10 business days and includes any changes in residence hall
- J-1 Health Insurance-J-1 students must maintain health insurance meeting the most recent DOS requirements.
If you are uncertain of whether or not what you are doing is legal, always check with the ISSS Office first.
Last modified: Jul 21, 2015