Obtaining a Social Security Number

For Students

Students must have on-campus employment (not to exceed 20 hours per week during the academic year or 40 hours per week during the annual breaks) and an offer letter from the hiring department, or have work authorization such as an EAD Card (Employment Authorization Document) or CPT authorization to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN). Students who do not meet these criteria are not eligible for a Social Security Number.

To obtain a Social Security Number, you must submit the Social Security Number request form, which is to be completed by the department or office that is hiring you.

After receiving this information, the ISSS will complete a letter and provide you with instructions on what to bring to the Social Security Administration office.

Please note: Students are eligible for up to 20 hours per week of on-campus employment while registered (i.e. in the fall and spring semesters) and up to 40 hours per week of on-campus employment during the annual breaks.

Students on OPT

You will not need a letter from the ISSS office. Simply bring your I-20, passport, employment letter, and EAD card to the Social Security Administration.

Special Note: Your Social Security Number is confidential information. Share it only with the proper officials.

Last modified: Apr 5, 2017
International Services for Students and Scholars, Phone: (518) 276-4966, Fax: (518) 276-4839