RPI RELIEF: Hurricane Irene
- News & Events
Mighty Waters Campaign
- Anything That Floats Boat Competition - Wednesday, April 9
- REGISTER NOW - Mighty Waters - Fall Trips 2013
- RPI RELIEF: Mighty Waters Spring 2013 Community Service Days
- MLK Day of Service: Monday, January 21
- RPI Relief: Hurricane Sandy
- RPI RELIEF: Hurricane Irene
- Community Service Days - Fall 2011 (RPI RELIEF)
- RPI RELIEF "Mighty Waters" Community Service Day - Spring 2012
- RPI Student Volunteer Organizations
- RPI Community Services
Local Organizations Seeking Volunteers
- Current Affairs
- Annual Campus Campaigns
- Student Accomplishments, Awards and Scholarships
- New York Campus Compact
On Sunday, August 28, 2011, Hurricane Irene, then in the form of a powerful tropical storm, proceeded on its path along the United States eastern seaboard, through New York City and inland between the Hudson and Connecticut river valleys onward to Vermont and Canada. The New York Times Map showing the flooding, rainfall and power outages illustrates the impact of the powerful, widespread storm. The larger New York Capital incurred much damage, especially along its creeks and river beds. Localities along the Schoharie Creek, the Poestenkill the Mohawk and Hudson rivers, and other waterways suffered incredible damage to both infrastructure and to personal property. Weeks following the deluge, these communities continue to be vulnerable, not only to weather impacts on the saturated landscape, but also to public health concerns brought about by mold, mildew and bacteria growing across the flood ravaged areas. Local communities have come together to assist property owners with the clean-up, but recovery is uncertain for many in the face of the storm's severe environmental impact. Local coverage of the storm's impact can be found on the following sites:
- Times Union Reader Photos
- The American Red Cross of Northeastern New York covering the counties of Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady, Montgomery, Schoharie, Greene and Columbia
- The Regional Farm and Food Project, Facebook page for a local community organization which is assisting farms which suffered from flooding
- Help Schoharie County, NY devastation from Hurricane Irene, a Facebook page with up-to-date Q&As
In response to the widespread storm damage, the Student
Senate’s Advocacy, Community and Advancement Committee, with
the support of the Dean of Students Office is spearheading the
RPI RELIEF: Hurricane Irene efforts to raise
- American Red Cross.
- Regional Farm and Food Project to assist victims of flooding throughout the Capital Region.
- Schoharie Recovery, Inc., a not-for-profit organization formed to assist in disaster recovery efforts, as a result of recent natural disasters, in the village of Schoharie and surrounding areas by maximizing the effectiveness of coordinated volunteer efforts, to collaborate with other recovery programs in the village of Schoharie and surrounding areas, and to facilitate comprehensive community planning and development.
- The HCTC Recovery Center, Huntersfield Christian Training Center (HCTC), located on the highground above Prattsville has been designated as the Hurricane Irene Recovery Mission for the town. As such, we have been given the responsibility to coordinate a food and feeding program for the town, residential recovery operations including all home mud-out, stripping, and eventual rebuilding over time, as well as housing of displaced families.
The President's Office is providing financial support for RPI RELIEF: Hurricane Irene. The $10,000 contribution will address the cost of the student volunteer efforts in the communities impacted by the floods (including transportation and safety items for the student, staff and faculty volunteers), and remaining dollars will be contributed to match funds raised for the supported causes.Notice - 3/12/12 - RPI Relief:Hurricane Irene fundraising results to date are in!
With the match money and directed gifts, we were able to send a total of $4,377.04 in the following amounts to these hardworking, worthy organizations, to help them continue in their relief and recovery efforts:
- Regional Farm and Food Project - $969.26
- Huntersfield Christian Training Center - $969.26
- Schoharie Recovery, Inc. - $969.26
- American Red Cross of Northeastern NY - $1,469.26
RPI RELIEF: Hurricane Irene Volunteer
Check out the link for details and
- Sun, September 11 (9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.) - Schoharie, Schoharie Co.
- Sun, September 18 (8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.) - Prattsville, Greene Co.
- Sun, September 25 (8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.) - Poestenkill, Rensselaer Co.
- Sun, October 2 (8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.) - Schoharie, Schoharie Co.
- Sun, October 16 (8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.) - Prattsville, Greene Co.
- Sun, October 23 (8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.) - Schoharie, Schoharie Co.
- Sun, November 6 (8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.) - Schoharie, Schoharie Co.
Check back to this website for information on
possible trips in spring 2012.
Special RPI Relief:Hurricane Irene Events
at Rensselaer: A chronological listing of all the programs
hosted by the students is listed below and showcased also on
our Facebook page:
- August 31 - American Red Cross Blood Drive hosted by Chi
Phi; 204 pints collected.
- September 11 - Schoharie (see the
Schoharie Facebook photo album)
- September 17 - The American Red Cross Club in conjunction
with Ben and Jerry's hosted an
Ice Cream Eating Contest in the McNeil Room in the Union.
The club raised a total of $226 from the contest, and another
$26 from the raffle they conducted - all for the American Red
Cross relief efforts for Hurricane Irene.
Event pictures are on Facebook.
- September 18 - Prattsville - see the
Facebook Prattsville photo album and
Josh's pictures from the trip
- September 25 - Poestenkill - see the
Facebook Poestenkill photo album and
Josh's pictures from the trip
- October 2 - Schoharie - see the
Facebook Schoharie Trip #2 photo album and
YNN Coverage of the trip
- October 16 - Prattsville - see the
Facebook Prattsville Trip #2 photo album and
WNYT News Channel 13 Coverage of the trip
- October 23 - Schoharie - see the
Facebook Schoharie Trip #3 photo album
- November 6 - Schoharie - see the
Facebook Schoharie Trip #4 photo album
- Collection Bin for Cleaning Items for Storm Clean-Up -
details to be announced soon
RPI RELIEF is a program of the Dean of Students Office, activated to raise awareness, raise funds and coordinate volunteer initiatives when disaster strikes an area. Past RPI RELIEF efforts have included student initiatives to support those impacted by Hurricane Katrina, and the earthquakes and tsunamis in southeast Asia and recently in Japan. Follow RPI RELIEF: Hurricane Irene on
The growing list of Student Groups involved in RPI Relief: Hurricane Irene follows:
- RPI Student Senate
- American Red Cross Club
- Class of 2013
- Community Advocates
- Community Service Committee
- Alpha Chi Rho
- Air Force ROTC
- NAVY ROTC
- Alpha Phi Omega
- Circle K
- Ground Zero
- Tau Beta Pi pledges
- AED - Prehealth Honor Society
- Rensselaer Society of Engineers
- RPI Landscape Department