Academic training for J-1 students
Working in the US
- U.S. Department of Labor Fact Sheet: Internship Programs Under The Fair Labor Standards Act
- UNPAID Internships or Volunteering and Optional Practical Training
- Optional Practical Training General Information
- OPT Undergraduate Application
- OPT Graduate Application
- Employment/Personal Updates
- STEM Extension FAQs
- 24 Month STEM Extension Request
- Academic Training
- Obtaining a Social Security Number
- J-2 Work Permission
J-1 students may apply for Academic Training, which can be used for off-campus employment directly related to the student's field of study. In order to apply for academic training, please submit the following to the ISSS Office
- Completed Academic Training request form for exchange students or graduate students
- Photocopy of current DS-2019
- Offer letter from employer meeting the specifications listed on the Academic Training request form
Academic training must be related to the student's field of study. Most students are eligible for 18 months of academic training; postdoctoral students may apply for an additional 18 months of Academic Training, for a total of 36 months. Academic training must commence not later than 30 days following completion of studies. All outstanding bills must be paid through the Bursar's office and you must also be certified full-time for all.
- Eligible for up to 18 months (36 months for post-doctoral training)
- Must be done with a specific employer and be directly related to the major field of study listed on the form DS-2019.
- Cannot be longer than your program.
- Exchange students are eligible.
- Must be directly related to program of study.
- Applications are available in ISSS Office.
- Sponsor gives approval in a written letter.
- If you participate in the co-op program, the time enrolled will be deducted from your 18 months.
- You need a job to apply.
- You must be authorized to work within 30 days after graduation.
- Can be part-time but will be counted as fill-time.
- Your bursar's account must be paid.
All students on Academic Training must continue to report to the ISSS Office any changes in address, personal information, employment, status, etc... in the same manner as when they were a student.