International students may participate in the CO-OP programs through the Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD) as long as they apply for work authorization with the ISSS Office. J-1 students (except for exchange students) are eligible for CO-OP through < a href= "">;Academic Training. F-1 students are eligible through Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

What is CPT?

CPT is a off-campus work authorization for F-1 students. The employment must be an integral part of the student’s degree program. In short, this means that it is for academic credit pertaining to the student’s degree. At RPI, a student can only obtain CPT work-authorization if he/she is participating in a CO-OP program.

How do I apply for CPT?

The student must speak to the CCPD first. Students must meet certain specifications to be eligible for CO-OP. If he or she is approved for CO-OP, and receives approval from his or her academic advisors, deans, and directors, then ISSS will issue work authorization (where appropriate). To do so, our office will need:

Is there a time limit on CPT?

Students are granted up to 1 year worth of full-time CPT. If a student goes over 1 year, he or she is no longer eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT).

What if I am ineligible for CO-OP?

Undergraduates who are ineligible for the CO-OP/CPT may be eligible for pre-completion OPT. Please consult the ISSS Office.

Last modified: Jul 22, 2015
International Services for Students and Scholars, Phone: (518) 276-4966, Fax: (518) 276-4839