Travel within the United States

Students and scholars travelling within the United States should still carry their immigration documents with them. This includes your passport, visa, and I-20/DS-2019. You may be asked for these documents to prove your status at any time by government or law enforcement officials.

Puerto Rico is a United States territory and is considered a part of the U.S.

NOTE: Students with a pending change of non-immigrant status application or immigrant visa petition MUST limit their travel to within the United States only, as travel outside the United States has the effect of abandoning the application. You should also travel with a receipt notice of your pending application.

Last modified: Jul 22, 2015
International Services for Students and Scholars, Phone: (518) 276-4966, Fax: (518) 276-4839