Inviting a J-2 dependent

If you would like your spouse and/or child to join you in the United States, you can request a dependent through the ISSS Office. A new form DS-2019 will be printed for your dependent(s) which can be used to obtain an J-2 visa to enter the United States. As a J-2, your dependent(s)’ status will be entirely linked to your J-1 status. Thus, if the J-1 goes out of status, the J-2 loses status as well. This also means that the J-2 is subject to the same restrictions as the J-1, including 212(e).

Please note: All J-1 and J-2 visa holders must have medical insurance meeting the Department of State requirements for the entire duration of their stay in the United States. The requirements are as follows:

When requesting a J-2 dependent, please submit the following documents to the ISSS Office

*You must provide proof of sufficient finances for each dependent your request. At the moment, the required amounts at $8820.00 for a spouse and $4410.00 for each child. The financial statement must be from within the past 3 months and must be an original document. If other relatives will be financially supporting your dependent(s) please attach a signed letter from your relatives.

J-2 Dependents- Study and Work Authorization

J-2 dependents are eligible for full-time/part-time study in the United States as well as work authorization through USCIS. Please consult the ISSS Office for details.

Last modified: Jul 27, 2015
International Services for Students and Scholars, Phone: (518) 276-4966, Fax: (518) 276-4839