Information for Departments
- Tips for Scholars
- Information for Departments
- Scholar Financial Support
- Department DS2019 Request
- J-1 Scholar extension request form
- U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs Researcher Purpose of Travel Information
J-1 Scholar:These visas are available for temporary scholars conducting research or collaborating with RPI faculty. J-1 scholars may be paid or unpaid, but any temporary paid scholars must come on a J-1 visa (i.e. are not eligible for a B visa). There are two types of J scholars at RPI:
- J-1 Short Term Scholar (six months maximum)
- J-1 Professor/Research Scholar (five years maximum)
Department Request for a J-1 scholar available here.
If a department intends to hire a scholar for longer than five years or for a permanent position, it is recommended that the scholar obtain one of the following visas:
- H-1B visa (6 years maximum, contact Human Resources)
- TN visa for Canadian and Mexican citizens only. (One year, renewable annually)
If a department intends to hire a graduating student in a post-doctoral position:
- F-1 students are eligible for Optional Practical Training
- J-1 students are eligible for Academic Training
Department Request for a B-1 scholar is available here.
- Please note: The B-1 visa is only appropriate for very specific activities( ex: a scholar attending a 2 day conference). More information on the B-1 visa is available here and here.
- Only visitors who would otherwise apply for B visas are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program/ ESTA.