Inviting a F-2 dependent

You may request your spouse or child(ren) to be listed as a dependent through the ISSS Office. A new form I-20 will be printed for your dependent(s) to obtain an F-2 visa. An F-2 dependent's status is entirely dependent upon the F-1 maintaining his/her status. If the F-1 goes out of status, the F-2 loses status as well.

Please note: all family members must be covered by medical insurance while in the United States. The RPI health center can assist you with adding your dependent(s) to your current coverage.

The following documents should be submitted to the ISSS Office:

*You must provide proof of sufficient finances for each dependent your request. At the moment, the required amounts are $8820.00 for a spouse and $4410.00 for each child. The financial statement must be from within the past 3 months and must be an original document. If other relatives will be financially supporting your dependent(s) please attach a signed letter from your relatives. If you will be submitting an e-Statement, please ask a representative of your bank to stamp and sign the statement.

Limitations on F-1 Dependents

F-2 dependents are not eligible to study full/part time at the university level. F-2s may be eligible to take classes which are recreational or vocational (i.e. English language course, cooking course, etc…), but you should consult the ISSS Office first.

US ICE (Immigrations and Customs Enforcement) has published an FAQ on updated F-2 dependent study regulations (effective May 29, 2015) here.

Last modified: Nov 18, 2015
International Services for Students and Scholars, Phone: (518) 276-4966, Fax: (518) 276-4839